Marc Andreessen observed that “Software Is Eating The World”. In the Netherlands, the field of Software Engineering has had enormous impact on all types of industry, putting more R&D focus on the software part of the systems they develop, often leading global trends.
The purpose of this workshop is to build ties within the Software community in the Northern provinces of the Netherlands, as well as to bring together industry and academia.
Vision for the day
The day will start with a keynote by Philippe Kruchten from the University of British Columbia, a renowned speaker and pioneer in the areas of processes, software architecture and technical debt.
The rest of the morning will be dedicated to highlighting the state of the art in a number of prominent Software Engineering areas of research conducted in Groningen including: software architecture, technical debt, programming languages, software ecosystems, and cloud engineering.
The afternoon will see the software industry from the Northern provinces of Netherlands present their solutions, advances, innovations, as well as challenges. This will be followed up by discussion on industrial-academic collaboration.
09:30 - 10:30 Technical debt in software development — Myths and realities (Keynote), Philippe Kruchten, Ph.D., P.Eng., FEC
10:30 - 11:00 Coffee break
11:00 - 12:30 State of Research
- Manageable Software Architectures, Prof.dr. Paris Avgeriou
- Cost-Effective Cloud Computing, Dr. Vasilios Andrikopoulos
- Sustainable Software Ecosystems, Dr. Mircea Lungu
- Domain Specific Languages for All, Prof.dr. Tijs van der Storm
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
13:30 - 15:00 State of Practice (Industry presentations) - Part 1
- Making ING the world's most agile and scalable bank, Gert Vermeer (ING)
- Measuring code quality: 40 years after cyclomatic complexity, Paul Jansen, Tiobe Software
- From idea to feature in a management-less organization, Marco Vellinga, Voys
- Managing the cost of change in high growth companies, Fotos Georgiadis, Catawiki
15:00-15:30 Coffee break
15:30-16:30 Software Engineering landscape in the Netherlands
- Discussion Panel on the Collaboration between Research and Industry
Prof.dr. Paris Avgeriou (RUG - chair)
Rix Groenboom (Parasoft)
Marten van der Laan (ICT)
Prof. Patricia Lago (VU Amsterdam)
Prof. Philippe Kruchten (University British Columbia)
16:30 Closing and drinks